The Color Purple
WHAT TO DO IF YOU HAVE TICKETS:
For The Color Purple or if you cannot attend the rescheduled performance: We will be providing other options related to your tickets such as seating exchanges (for Escape to Margaritaville only), ticket donation tax credits and ticket refunds. At this time our office is closed and we cannot receive or process any requests. After we re-open, in order to prepare to best serve our patrons, we will need some additional time (approximately 10 days) to set up this process. Please be patient as we do not know when we will be returning to the office, and therefore we do not know exactly when we will be set up to begin receiving and processing requests. We will notify you via email, on our website, on Facebook and on our outgoing phone message as soon as we know when we will be open again.
Broadway Theatre League would like to assure you that every ticket holder for these shows will be taken care of and we will work as quickly as possible to work through all requests.
THE COLOR PURPLE is the 2016 Tony Award® winner for Best Musical Revival!
Hailed as “a direct hit to the heart” (The Hollywood Reporter), this joyous American classic has conquered Broadway in an all-new “ravishingly reconceived production that is a glory to behold” (The New York Times).
With a soul-raising, Grammy®-winning score of jazz, gospel, ragtime and blues, THE COLOR PURPLE gives an exhilarating new spirit to this Pulitzer Prize-winning story.
Don’t miss this stunning re-imagining of an epic story about a young woman’s journey to love and triumph in the American South. Experience the exhilarating power of this Tony-winning triumph that New York Magazine calls “one of the greatest revivals ever.”
From The Show
The New York Times, New York Magazine, Time Out New York,
"Give thanks, children of Broadway, and throw in a hearty hallelujah.”
– The New York Times
"A miracle on Broadway." – The New York Times
“A GLORY to BEHOLD!” – The New York Times
"One of the greatest revivals ever." – New York Magazine
“My spirit was profoundly moved.” – Los Angeles Times
"It floors you. A direct hit to the heart, mind and gut."
– The Hollywood Reporter
"Bolder, brighter, deeper than ever." – Daily News
“One of the great triumphs of the Broadway season.” – Deadline
“You’ll emerge uplifted and wiping tears from your eyes." – USA Today
"Transcendent and transformative." – Los Angeles Times
"A heavenly constellation of talent." – Los Angeles Times
"For the first time in its long history of dramatization, ‘The Color Purple’ has been afforded an incarnation fully in sync with one crucial aspect of Walker's original authorial intent — that the audience must participate in the imaginative act in order to comprehend its richness of theme and story. And… they do. Willingly. Delightedly. When they are not rising to their feet to stop the show."
–Chris Jones, Chicago Tribune
“‘The Color Purple,’ I'm overjoyed to report, has finally found the freedom it needed to attain sublimity. Transformative and transcendent, with a heavenly constellation of talent. My spirit was profoundly moved.”
–Charles McNulty, LA Times
"Wow. ‘The Color Purple’ is a direct hit to the heart, mind and gut. This revelatory overhaul is characterized by its grace, restraint and soaring spirituality, exposing the life-affirming material's molten emotional core and connecting to the heart of Walker's story with a power that eclipses both the previous production and Steven Spielberg's 1985 movie." It floors you, leaving you both drained and exhilarated.”
–David Rooney, The Hollywood Reporter
THE COLOR PURPLE is accessible and appropriate for all ages. Standard local theatre guidelines for minimum age should apply, however if an age is needed, we said 8 & up on Broadway.
Thank You to Our Sponsors:
Know Before You Go
Our frequently asked questions and answers
Performances with open captioning are available upon request by e-mailing email@example.com or by calling 256-518-6155 at least thirty days in advance of the scheduled performance.
Performances with audio description are available upon request by e-mailing firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 256-518-6155 at least thirty days in advance of the scheduled performance.
Performances with sign language are available upon request by e-mailing email@example.com or by calling 256-518-6155 at least thirty days in advance of the scheduled performance.
For other services and accommodations, visit our Accessibility Page here.
Each child, regardless of age, must have a ticket and sit in their seat during performances. Children who sit in another person’s lap block the view of the person behind you. Children should not be allowed to run around during the show.
Please review our friendly etiquette refresher course and as you read on, remember part of one’s pact as an audience member is to take seriously the pleasure of others, a responsibility fulfilled by quietly attentive (or silently inattentive) and self-contained behavior. After all, you can be as demonstrative as you want during bows and curtain calls.
- Go easy with the perfume and cologne, many people are highly allergic.
- If you bring a child, make sure etiquette is part of the experience. Children love learning new things. Each child, regardless of age, must have a ticket and sit in their seat during performances. Children who sit in another person’s lap block the view of the person behind you. Children should not be allowed to run around during the show. View our Children’s Etiquette page.
- Please enjoy your snacks and drinks in the lobby and not inside the theatre.
- Please silence or turn off all electronic devices, including cell phones, beepers, and watch alarms. Please refrain from texting during performances, the glow from your device is distracting.
- The overture is part of the performance. Please cease talking at this point.
- The sound system for each show is provided by the touring production. Unfortunately, many variables exist that may occasionally hinder sound quality. The technical staff works very hard to provide the best possible sound for each performance.
- Keep in mind when you lean your heads together, you block the view of the people behind you.
- Please refrain from talking, humming, or singing along with the show, except when appropriate.
- Please wait for an appropriate moment to dig something out of your pocket or bag.
- Arrive early so you don’t cross over others after the show has started. If you are late, you may be re-seated until an appropriate time for you to get to your assigned seat.
- If you need assistance during the show, please go to your nearest volunteer usher. If additional assistance is needed the usher will get the appropriate person to further help you.
- Be courteous and everyone will enjoy the show.
- Unless otherwise directed, please sit in your assigned seat.
- Have a comment or question? Please visit BTL’s customer service desk in the front of the lobby. Or, contact us online.